Monday, January 5, 2009

Week 1: Newcastle Brown Ale

I've long been a fan of this smooth and flavorful English beer, a nice brown with just enough bite. I'm also a long-time fan of Newcastle United ever since I got a load of Alan Shearer in the 1996 World Cup!!

This being week one and my first few loaves (I plan to make at least two out of every six=pack in 2009; that leaves four beers to drink!), it's maybe too soon to tell if this is from the maltodextrin in the self-rising flour or the Newcastle Brown itself, but the resulting bread has a nice, slightly malty flavor and the bread is the same lovely color from crust to core. It's going to be hard to beat!

I enjoyed my first loaf with a homemade Chicken Soup with Orzo. The soup was a little bland; I'd not had access to fresh ginger and substituted not enough ground ginger, I think. When I crumbed in a few handfuls of Newcastle Brown Ale Bread, it perked the soup right up. The result was utterly delicious!

1 comment:

  1. I have picked up your torch, or spoon as it were and mixed up a couple more versions of these. Writing up posterous for Sam Adams Winter Lager and Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale.

    ReplyDelete